Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
Best for small business owners that frequently travel for work.
If you want a card loaded with travel benefits with a straightforward rewards earn rate, consider the Amex Business Platinum.
Learn more about our star rating methodology.
The metallic American Express Business Platinum Card is chock-full of enticing travel perks and features an uncomplicated rewards structure for everyday spending.
Business Platinum Card® from American Express
Interest RatesVariesThis card also has a Flexible Payment Option (FPO), which lets you carry a portion of your balance with interest on eligible purchases. Card members must pay all charges not included in their FPO balance in full.
Rewards Rate1.25x PointsEarn 1.25 Membership Rewards points for virtually every $1 in purchases and get the most out of your business expenses.
Intro Offer90,000 PointsEarn a welcome bonus of 90,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $10,000 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership. That’s $900 in statement credits that can be reinvested in your business.
- Earn 90,000 welcome bonus Membership Rewards® points.
- Earn a welcome bonus of 90,000 Membership Rewards® points when you spend $10,000 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership. That’s $900 in statement credits that can be reinvested in your business.
- Earn points that you can redeem in a variety of ways.
- Earn 1.25 Membership Rewards points for virtually every $1 in purchases and get the most out of your business expenses.
- Enjoy an exceptional line-up of rewards redemption options for you and your business, including travel, dining, entertainment, gift cards, merchandise, and more with Membership Rewards program.
- Transfer points to frequent flyer and hotel programs, including one-to-one to Aeroplan®* and Avios.
- Unlock business possibilities with a full suite of business management tools that give you more control over your business – anytime and anywhere.
- Enjoy financial flexibility with no pre-set spending limit on purchases. With this Card, your purchasing power adjusts dynamically with your Card usage, and can grow over time, as long as you make your payments on time and maintain a good credit history.
- Maximize your cash flow with up to 55 interest free days so you can keep more cash on hand when you need it most.
- Pay for business expenses over time with Flexible Payment Option.
- This charge card has both Due in Full and Flexible Payment Option balances. All Due in Full balances must be paid each month. Interest rate of 30% applies to each delinquent Due in Full charge. This rate is effective from the day account is opened. Interest rate of 20.99% applies to your Flexible Payment Option balance. This rate is effective from the day the Flexible Payment Option is first available on your account.
- Enjoy exclusive benefits for you and your business.
- Take full advantage of the American Express Global Lounge Collection which unlocks access to over 1300 airport lounges worldwide. This includes The Centurion® Lounge network, Plaza Premium Lounges, and hundreds of other domestic and international lounges designed to enhance your travel experience.
- Enjoy premium benefits at the Toronto Pearson Airport, including access to the Pearson Priority Security Lane and discount on parking.
- Get access to discounted base fares for you and your travel companions when you book through the International Airline Program.
- Enjoy access to specialty services and events, preferential treatment, and a dedicated Concierge team.
- American Express is not responsible for maintaining or monitoring the accuracy of information on this website. For full details and current product information click the Apply now link. Conditions apply.
American Express Business Platinum Card full review
The American Express Business Platinum Card is a rewards credit card for small businesses. It earns 1.25 American Express Membership Rewards points for each eligible $1 spent.
Benefits of the American Express Business Platinum Card
The Amex Business Platinum Card has plenty going for it, including airport lounge access, business management tools, hotel upgrades, complimentary airport transfers, sweeping travel insurance and more. Plus, small businesses can take advantage of flexible repayment via interest-free periods of up to 55 days.
Drawbacks of the American Express Business Platinum Card
The Amex Business Platinum does not have accelerated earn rates for specific spending categories, which may make it more challenging to rack up points. And despite its robust insurance offerings, there are coverage gaps: the card doesn’t come with mobile device protection, and its emergency medical insurance doesn’t cover people over the age of 65.
Who should get the Amex Business Platinum Card?
The Amex Business Platinum card is well-suited for business owners who want a card with flexible repayment options, rewards on everyday spending and an extensive suite of travel benefits and insurance coverage.There’s wiggle room in the Amex Business Platinum’s spending limit and repayment options, and the card comes with a respectable lineup of travel perks and insurance. The card also earns a straightforward 1.25 reward points for every $1 spent.
Is the American Express Business Platinum Card worth it?
It depends on the spending and travel habits of your business. The Amex Business Platinum Card has a $499 annual fee, so ideally, you squeeze at least this much value from the card annually to make carrying it worthwhile. Beyond its welcome offer, the card comes with airport lounge access, hotel freebies, car rental discounts, comprehensive insurance and more. We think the small business best positioned to take advantage of this card’s offerings is one that can make use of its travel extras.
American Express customer satisfaction ratings
- Third in customer satisfaction: American Express ranks third (and above industry average) in customer satisfaction with credit card issuers, according to J.D. Power’s 2022 Canada Credit Card Satisfaction Study.
- Poor Trustpilot rating: 1.6 out of 5 possible stars based on more than 3,100 customer reviews at the time of this writing.
- Poor Better Business Bureau rating: 1.07 out of a possible 5 stars, according to more than 300 customer reviews on the Better Business Bureau website, at the time of this writing.
- Poor Customer Service Scoreboard rating: 36.63 out of a possible 200, based on over 300 ratings at the time of this writing.
Amex Business Platinum Card eligibility
Who qualifies for the American Express Business Platinum Card?
To qualify for the American Express Business Platinum Card, you must be:
- A Canadian resident.
- At least the age of majority for your province or territory.
While American Express doesn’t disclose this information on its site, there may be annual income requirements associated with the Amex Business Platinum.
Approximate credit score needed for approval
Canadian credit card issuers rarely disclose required credit scores, which makes it hard to know your chances of approval when comparing credit cards. We know that higher scores have better chances of approval — that’s true no matter what type of credit you’re applying for.
Want to learn more? Visit our “What Credit Score is Needed for a Credit Card?” page.
» MORE: How to Check Your Credit Score
American Express Business Platinum Card rewards
Receive up to 90,000 American Express Membership Rewards points. Cardholders unlock the offer by spending at least $10,000 in their first three months of card membership (limited-time offer, terms and conditions apply).
Earn 1.25 American Express Membership Rewards points for each $1 spent on eligible everyday purchases.
Cardholders may get up to 2 cents per Amex Membership Rewards point, according to NerdWallet analysis. So this card’s welcome offer could be worth up to $1,800, depending on how the points are redeemed.
The American Express Business Platinum Card has additional perks that offer value. The card provides access to multiple airport lounge programs, including the Priority Pass lounge program, for which membership program fees range from $99 to $469 USD annually. It also comes with discounts on airfare, airport parking and car rentals, which could amount to hundreds of dollars in savings. Not to mention the card’s extensive insurance coverage, which could be worth thousands should cardholders ever put it to use.
Point value breakdown
The value of an American Express Membership Rewards point varies on the redemption method you choose, but you can expect to get around 0.7-2 cents per point, according to NerdWallet analysis.
- Up to 2 cents per point for flights, fine hotels and resorts booked via the American Express Fixed Points Travel Program.
- 1 cent per point for statement credits.
- About 0.8 cents per point for gift cards.
- About 0.7 cents per point for shopping with merchant partners.
How to apply for the Amex Business Platinum Card
- Select the Apply Now button from the American Express Business Platinum Card page on the American Express website.
- Review the card’s terms and conditions and select Agree and Begin to continue.
- Enter your details, including your full name, date of birth, email address, business postal code, business phone number and residential address.
- Tell American Express about your business, including its industry, number of employees and annual revenue.
- Choose a four-digit PIN.
- Review the information you’ve supplied and submit your application.
American Express Business Platinum Card vs American Express Platinum Card
|American Express Business Platinum Card||American Express Platinum Card|
|Rewards rates||1.25 points on every $1 spent.||• 3 points per $1 spent on dining and food delivery.
• 2 points per $1 spent on travel.
• 1 point per $1 spent on everything else.
|Travel perks||• Access to over 2,500 global airport lounges.|
• Free daily breakfasts, early check-in, late check-out, room upgrades and food, beverage and spa credits at partner hotels.
• Complimentary valet service and discounted parking when travelling through Toronto Pearson Airport.
• Discounts on qualifying international airline tickets.
• Complimentary transfers to and from the airport.
• Car rental upgrades and discounts.
|• Access to over 1,300 global airport lounges.
• Late check-out and complimentary daily breakfast for two at over 1,100 hotels worldwide.
• Priority security lanes and complimentary valet service at Toronto Pearson Airport.
• $200 travel credit for American Express Travel Online.
• $100 NEXUS fee rebate every 4 years.
• Get fast-tracked for hotel loyalty programs.
Reasons you might want a different card
The American Express Business Platinum Card may not be a practical fit for your small business if:
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee of $499.
- You don’t travel enough to enjoy the card’s travel extras.
- You’d prefer a card that offers an accelerated rewards rate in specific spending categories.
American Express Business Platinum Card facts
|American Express Business Platinum Card|
|Card type||Business credit card.|
|Fees and interest rates|
|Additional cards||$50 - $199|
|Cash advance fee||$0.75 or 3% of the advanced funds, whichever is greater.|
|Foreign transaction fee||2.5% of the transaction amount.|
|Rewards and benefits|
|Intro offer||New cardholders can receive up to 90,000 American Express Membership Rewards points by spending at least $10,000 in their first three months of card membership (limited time offer, terms and conditions apply).|
|Reward earn rates||Cardholders earn 1.25 American Express Membership Rewards points for each $1 spent on eligible everyday purchases.|
|Other perks||No pre-set spending limit. Card purchases are approved based on your credit and account history.
Flexible repayment with up to 55 interest-free days. Take advantage of an extended interest-free grace period to pay the minimum, more or total amount owing.
Handy business management tools. Tap into expense management reports, account alerts, billing information and more.
Sweeping airport lounge access. Step out of the airport hubbub and into Plaza Premium, Priority Pass, Delta Sky Club and American Express Global Lounge Collection lounges, including the illustrious Centurion Lounge.
Lavish hotel extras. Travel in luxury with complimentary daily breakfasts, early check-in, late check-out, room upgrades, and food, beverage and spa credits at partner hotels.
Pearson Airport perks. Enjoy complimentary valet service and discounted parking at Toronto Pearson Airport.
Less expensive airfare. Receive discounts on qualifying first, business and premium economy international airline tickets.
Complimentary airport transfers. Get to or from the airport with up to six one-way transfers annually in select Canadian and international cities.
Car rental upgrades and discounts. Save on vehicle upgrades, get rate discounts and skip the reservation counter when you book a rental vehicle through participating Hertz and Avis locations.
American Express Experiences. Enjoy special access to food, theatre and entertainment events curated for Amex Platinum cardholders.
Amex Front of the Line. Nab tickets to popular events before they go on sale to the general public.
|Travel accident||Up to $500,000.|
|Travel medical||Up to $5 million per insured person per trip.|
|Trip cancellation||Up to $3,000 for all insured persons combined.|
|Trip interruption||Up to $6,000 for all insured persons combined.|
|Flight delay||Up to $1,000 for necessary accommodations, restaurant expenses and sundries.|
|Baggage delay||Up to $1,000 for essential clothing and sundry items.|
|Lost or stolen baggage||Up to $1,000 of coverage per trip for all insured persons.|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $1,000 of coverage for personal items (excluding cash).|
|Rental car theft/damage||For up to 48 days.|
|Extended warranty||Up to one additional year.|
|Purchase protection||90 days.|
|Employee Card Misuse Protection||Up to $100,000 of coverage in the event of unauthorized charges due to employee card misuse.|
NerdWallet Canada rates credit cards according to overall consumer value and their suitability for specific kinds of consumers. Factors in our evaluation methodology include annual and other fees, rewards rates, the earning structure (for example, flat-rate rewards versus bonus categories), redemption options, bonus offers for new cardholders, introductory and ongoing APRs, and other noteworthy features such as airline or hotel perks or the ability to transfer points.
Frequently asked questions about the Amex Business Platinum Card
American Express doesn’t publicly disclose annual income requirements for its Amex Business Platinum Card. You must provide your annual income during the application process, which may be a factor during card approval.
American Express has three Platinum credit cards in its roster: Amex Platinum, Amex Business Platinum and Amex Corporate Platinum.
Best American Express Business Credit Cards
Amex business cards in Canada offer numerous benefits and comprehensive insurance coverage. Earn Aeroplan and Membership Rewards points.
18 Best Business Credit Cards In Canada for 2023
The right business credit card can help companies earn rewards, discounts and other benefits that reduce overall operational costs. Used wisely, they can help keep a business’s expenses organized and improve owners’ credit scores, too.
What is a Business Credit Card?
If you own or manage a business — a solo freelance firm, a small business, or a company with employees — a business credit card may come in handy when it comes to paying expenses related to your work, and keeping them separate from your personal finances. How does a business credit card work? A […]
American Express Front Of The Line and Experiences: What to Know
American Express is one of several credit card network providers in Canada. One thing that sets it apart from Visa and Mastercard, aside from the fact that it issues cards directly to consumers, is a program known as American Express Front Of The Line. Front Of The Line is an exciting perk that’s only available […]